Fratielivi’s laboratory for the restoration of ancient books, documents and archives
The Fratielivi operates as a laboratory for the restoration of ancient books, documents and paper, leather and wooden artifacts. The laboratory is qualified according to the law.
It has a size of about 500m2. It stands out for its security systems – from fire-fighting devices to burglar alarms to the internal vault. It benefits from specific insurance for the protection of paper products.
The types of restoration works by Fratielivi
- Restoration of monastic bindings with wooden planks, also painted
- Restoration of numerous notarial deeds, starting from the 14th century, with parchment bindings
- Restoration of leather and parchment bindings, which made it possible to reuse them, despite the poor state of conservation in which they were found
- Mechanical restoration of "lignin" papers (1850-1950), including newspapers
- Recovery and restoration of handwritten parchments from the 8th to the 17th century, using a technique that does not involve the use of a press
- Restoration of large format maps, including watercolours
- Mechanical restoration of archival documents and books with fiber restorer
SOA OS 2 -B certification and Fratielivi qualified restorers
Since 1992, the laboratory has been carrying out restoration interventions for State Archives, Libraries, public and private bodies. Qualified in accordance with Law 109/94 and subsequent amendments and additions, the Fratielivi laboratory is in possession of the SOA certification OS Category 2-B – movable cultural heritage of interest
archive and library – necessary to carry out independently and individually works of up to 600,000 euros.
The restoration division of Fratielivi is made up of 4 qualified restorers plus 2 units of internal personnel with solid bookbinding experience.
Do you want to know more about us or about
our services? Contact us now: our team
is ready to answer you